We are experienced in Uber & Lyft Accidents, Call Now!

How Can I Get Reimbursed for Medical Expenses if I Was in an Accident with an Uninsured motorist?

While California law requires all drivers to carry auto insurance, the Insurance Research Council estimates that nearly 15% of California drivers are uninsured. The number of uninsured drivers usually increases in times of recession. Currently, it is expected that the percentage of uninsured drivers will increase because many people are currently unemployed as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Who will cover the costs to repair property damage or for medical care for any bodily injuries you sustain in an accident with an uninsured driver?

If you are in an accident with an uninsured motorist, you have three recovery options.

  1. You can make a claim with your “Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist” coverage, or UM/UIM coverage. However, this is an optional insurance coverage and not required by the state of California. Unfortunately, many people do not protect themselves against an accident with an uninsured motorist.
  2. If you do not have UM/UIM coverage, you can sue the driver in civil court.
  3. Lastly, you can pay the costs of repairing your vehicle and treating your injuries on your own.

What is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

You can file an Uninsured Motorist claim if your insurance policy includes your "Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist" coverage, or UM/UIM coverage. In California, insurance companies are required to offer UM/UIM coverage, but you are not obligated to purchase the coverage. Many drivers decline the coverage in order to obtain lower insurance rates. If you are in an accident with an uninsured motorist and you do not have UM/UIM coverage, you will not be able to recover from your own insurance policy. If you do have UM/UIM coverage, you will be able to recover as long as you can prove the following:

  1. The uninsured driver caused the accident, your injuries, and your damages; and
  2. The driver was in fact uninsured.

Uninsured motorist insurance coverage could help you receive compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, property damage, and funeral expenses.

What if I was involved in a hit and run?

Your uninsured motorist insurance (UM) policy might cover your damages if you are unable to identify the driver that hit your vehicle. Your UM policy might also cover your damages if you are pedestrian and are injured by a vehicle, even if your insured vehicle was not involved in the accident and even if your insured vehicle was not in the area.


If you have were in a car accident with an uninsured driver, you might be dealing with the stress of figuring out who will cover your medical expenses and your property damage. Contact The Lawyers for the Injured right away so we can ensure that you will receive full compensation for your injuries and property damage. (909) 482-0384 or (877) 447-7708. Se Habla Español.